Skip to main content

iPad 2

Front of iPad 2
Back of iPad 2

Now I don't claim to be any tech expert but I thought I would share my story and opinion on the iPad2.

Not owning the original iPad I only had a small idea of what to expect from playing with them at the apple store and seeing what others were using them for.

So I took the plunge. I waited up until 1am on the 25th March to ensure that I had one secured through the online store. I had in the back of my mind that maybe JBHiFi or Dick Smith might have then on Launch day at 5pm.
When I awoke on the 25th I rang Dick Smith and they said yes they will have them and will release them at 5pm, the same time as Apple. I was thinking should I or shouldn't I line up?

As the day went on I said Yes I will line up. So unlike all those people who lined up for days in front of the apple store in Sydney for the iPad I waited only 2 hours with a Lemon Lime bitters slurpee in my hand from 7-11 and secured one once 5pm came around.
I wasn't alone. 2 of my friends Drue and Woosang also obtained iPad 2 with no problems. Read Woosangs story on her blog here.

There are not many differences between the iPad and iPad 2. The differences are:

  • Faster processor - Apple's dual core A5 chip
  • Thinner design
  • Lighter weight
  • Facetime and HD Video
  • Front and rear facing camera
Rear Facing Camera
  • built in Gyroscope for assisted GPS
  • Video mirroring up to 1080p
Lets start at the after purchase with the photos. 

I purchased a White 16gb 3G WiFi iPad 2 with a Grey smart cover.

iPad 2
My purchase
White iPad 2 and grey Smart cover






iPad 2 Unboxing

iPad 2 Unboxing

The speed of the iPad 2 is noticablly different to iPad 1 and the graphics don't lag much at all. It may only be a smidgen lighter but you can tell the difference, don't ask me how but you can. The front facing camera is good for facetime but thats about it. the rear facing camera is only 1 megapixel so don't expect much from it. 

Apple also released a completely new product for the iPad which is the iPad Smart Cover. As part of the settings on the iPad 2 you can have it so when you open the smart cover the iPad wakes up and when you close the smart cover the iPad goes to sleep. The feature uses magnets which are located in the smart cover and the iPad 2.

Magnet Bar on smart cover
Smart Cover Attached to iPad 2

Smart cover half open on iPad2
Smart Cover closed on iPad 2

Using the smart cover as a stand
Using the smartcover as a stand

















I have used the back of my Mac Book in these shots as I think it is a nice clean background which allows anything that is put in front of it stand out and look good.

This brings my apple collection to three items. A 13" Mac book, iPhone 4 and now an iPad 2. So I'm not really that much of a fanboi just yet!


Comments

  1. whee!! I get a mention :-)

    Yeah these things are useful and nice to have but to line up for days ??????
    Fanboys are 1.stupid
    2. have no life
    3. have no job (well most don't)


    idiots.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Favourite Photos - Jellybean Pool

Trying a little positive note. Here are a few photos that I took. This is my first real attempt at this type of photography. Let me know what you think.

Catherine Hill Bay Sunrise

Catherine Hill Bay Sunrise Originally uploaded by Squeakaz This morning was an eventful one at by far the best location I have shot yet. It was all going well until 'SPLASH', bye bye camera. Thankfully the memory card survived but unfortunatly the camera not to good. Hitting a rock on the way down then completely submerging itself (tripod and all) for approx 5-10 secs. The things we do to get that one good shot!

Catching up

Time for a little catching up. Its been 2 weeks since I last posted and to be honest nothing really major has happened. Let me see... I am really enjoying my job and I am loving the shifts. It is mainly night work as we do the majority of the testing when the other trains have finished their runs for the night. This means I am sleeping during the day and surprisingly I am managing to obtain 7-8 hours sleep, even with my inconsiderate neighbours. On the new home front everything is moving along nicely at the moment. I shall have an update for my building blog http://www.squeakbuilds.blogspot.com this weekend. Our little puppy is growing fast and is currently in the rebellious teenager stage of his life. This is proving to be a lot of fun as he is choosing to ignore alot of the ground rules that have been set down for him. Here is a pic: In my previous post I mentioned that I am struggling on the night photography front. It had been a few weeks since I had gone out and taken s